What Are Your Municipality Requirements?

Each township in Western PA is different in regards to what they require home sellers to do before they close on a sale. It’s important for you to know what you will need to do in advance.

Want to sell your home? Get a FREE home value report
Want to buy a home? Search all homes for sale

Municipality requirements are different in every town and every state. In Western Pennsylvania, there is a different town for every zip code and they all have different requirements. Some townships require a dye test, some require an occupancy, and some require both.

It’s important to figure out what your requirements are with your local municipality before you sell. I always recommend calling your township to figure out what you need. They will inspect your home after you’ve already sold and negotiated terms, so you don’t want them coming back and telling you to fix more items.

Check with your township before you list.

If you need a dye test or a lateral sewage line and it fails, it could cost you up to $30,000 to fix it. Certain municipalities also have specific requirements for condos and townhomes. These can be a little trickier.

Just remember to check with all your local municipalities before listing your home to find out what’s required and if you’ll need to make any repairs before going on the market. If you have any questions for us, don’t hesitate to give us a call or send us an email. We look forward to hearing from you!